Friday, October 22, 2010

Potato Leek Soup

Every time I grace through the vegetable aisle, I always catch myself gawking away at leeks wondering what in the world to do with this ginormous piece of overgrown spring onions? One day, I caught myself almost grabbing an instant box of potato leek soup from the grocery store until the alter ego in me said "wait a minute, I already had two microwavable meals this week and If I grab this other box, I will soon be like an average American relying on a stash of microwavable meals in their freezer." You see, I made a silent promise to myself to never ever become like that American who literally hoards boxes of Hungry Man, Maruchan Ramen, Smart Ones, and sodas in their carts while grocery shopping.

Minutes later, I ended up with the ginormous leeks and russet potatoes in my shopping cart. I was so proud of myself until I got home and realize that I had no idea how to clean and cut the leeks. Anyway, that's when this youtube video came flashing onto my computer screen. After that, I clicked here for a mini tutorial on how to make the potato leek soup.

And the end result is a recipe with some changes below:

4 Servings
Ingredients
3 stalks of leeks chopped
2 medium size russet potatoes chopped (do not worry about chopped size as it will be pureed)
4 cups of chicken/vegetable broth ( I used 2 cups water, 2 cups chicken broth)
1 cup milk (for richer creamier texture use cream)
1 clove minced garlic
1 tbsp oil
dash of white pepper
some chopped chives for garnishing ( I used cilantro since that's what I had in hand)

Directions 
1. On medium heat,heat oil in pan. When oil is hot, stir in the garlic
2. Add in leeks and stir fry till soft
3. Add in the potatoes and 4 cups of chicken broth
4. Put stove on medium heat till the stock boils
5. Cover and let it simmer on low heat for approx. 15 minutes or until potatoes are soft
6. Pour soup into a blender, add in the milk and puree
7. Garnish with chives and a dash of white pepper

No comments:

Post a Comment